Heart disease is a lifestyle evil that plagues the 21st century. In 2016, heart disease killed one person every 33 seconds. In the year 2012,
nearly 1.5 lakh cardiac bypass surgeries have been performed in India. This number has been on the rise e
ver since. In fact, the demand for coronary procedures like heart bypass surgery in India has increased by 20-30% over the past few years.
Coronary Heart Bypass Surgery (known as Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting or CABG)
Where the surgeon uses another blood vessel within the body to go around, or bypass, a blocked artery. This will increase the flow of blood and oxygen back to the heart. It is performed on patients with heart disease like Coronary Heart Disease. This is when plaque builds up inside the arteries, blocking the heart from receiving blood and oxygen.
The procedure for the Heart Bypass Surgery is as foll
- The surgeon removes a blood vessel (also known as a graft) from another part of the body.
- The surgeon then attaches one end of the graft to the aorta (the large artery that comes out of your heart) and the other end to the blocked blood vessel.
- The surgery can take at least 3-6 hours.
Multiple blockages will warrant the surgeon to perform more than one bypass during the surgery
Coronary Bypass Surgery is the most common coronary procedure performed with minimum risk. But every surgery has risk factors. Here are some risk factors to be looked out for:
- Risk of bleeding from the site of attached graft.
- Increase chances of blood clots.
- Increase chances of memory loss or difficulty thinking.
But this surgery provides various long-term benefits for the patient’s overall health. Some of them are as follows:
- Disappearance or reduction in chest pain.
- Reduced chance of experiencing a heart attack.
- Increase levels of energy.
When it comes to your heart only leave it in the hands of well-versed experts. Fortis Heart Failure Centre is recognised as one of the best heart bypass surgery hospital in Chennai. With the latest clinical expertise and world-class facilities, our cardiac surgeons always ensure to provide treatment that best suits the patient need. Keeping up-to-date with all the latest practices, cardiac surgeons at Fortis Heart Failure Centre strive to provide the latest treatment with minimal discomfort and complications. If you’re experiencing symptoms like:
- Shortness of breath
- Palpitations (irregular heartbeats)
- A faster heartbeat
- Weakness or dizziness
Please take an appointment with our cardiac doctor’s and surgeons and get your symptoms checked.