Always striving to bring better heart care and cope with the ever increasing inbound heart patients, Fortis Heart Failure Centre’s doctors and medical staff work tirelessly and perform successful life saving surgeries every day throughout the year.
Constantly introducing world-class heart surgery methods that are both affordable and offer speedy recovery with less discomfort and complications, the cardiac centre also pioneers in MICS, or Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery in India.
Fortis Centre for Heart Failure and Transplant has changed the way heart patients are treated today.
Patient friendly Modern Surgical Procedure – MICS
Until recently, patients had to bear slow recovery, infections, extreme discomfort and substantial costs while undergoing cardiac surgery. But by the introduction of (MICS) minimally invasive Cardiac surgery at Fortis, the treatment has become more affordable with shorter recovery time minimizing hospital bed expenses.
Minimal invasive surgery is done for many heart conditions. The technique only requires a small incision varying from 3 to 5 inches on the anterior chest wall which leaves no major incision scar. Surgeons don’t have to cut the breastbone as they operate through between the ribs which is less painful, causes less blood loss and in minimally invasive to the surrounding tissue. In minimally invasive cardiac surgery anaesthesia is given to the patient similar to other surgeries.
While Mini-Sternotomy Incision splits only 4 to 5 inches of the breastbone, Mini-Thoracotomy Incision can be between 3 to 4 inches and is made between ribs so that no bone is cut. Other small incisions are made for Port-access from where robotic instruments are passed through several 1/2 inch incisions inside the rib cage.
With advances like using robotic arms for surgical assistance and higher proficiency in skilled doctors performing minimal cardiac surgery, people are able to avail the best and state of the art treatment options at Fortis – one of the best minimally invasive cardiac surgery reputed cardiac hospitals in India.
Benefits of minimally-invasive cardiac surgery at Fortis
Minimally invasive surgery confers many advantages over standard approaches resulting from less trauma and damage to the chest wall tissue and bones. The benefits are:
- Smaller incisions
- Smaller scars
- Reduced infection risk
- Less blood loss
- Less pain
Shorter hospital stays
Patients only have to stay from 3 to 5 days after a MICS
Fewer physical restrictions
Patients undergoing MICS don’t have to follow restrictions like driving, physical exertion, lifting objects weighing more than 5 pounds which are advised by doctors after an open heart surgery.
Shorter recovery time
Recovery times after MICS is only 2 to 4 weeks compared to standard strenotomy based procedures that can take over 8 weeks.
Heart Procedures that use minimally invasive surgery
- Minimally invasive heart procedures may include
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale closure
- Atrioventricular septal defect surgery
- Aortic valve replacement
- Maze procedure for atrial fibrillation
- Tricuspid valve repair and replacement
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Saphenous vein harvest for coronary artery bypass surgeryFortis Heart Failure Centre is a hub for comprehensive cardiac care and advanced surgery procedures related to numerous heart conditions. The cardiac treatment centre receives footfall from both international and local heart patients in great numbers every year. Patients checking in with different cardiac illnesses like congenital heart disease, valve blockage disease, coronary artery disease, atrial fibrillation, myocardial infarction and bypass surgery are given world class care and treatment to ensure complete satisfaction and recovery and a gift of healthy life.